Monday, November 15, 2021

                                                                                                                                                        Photo: Levi Meir Clancy

WAITING SOME MORE  

In the past five years, I've queried a lot of agents.  That boils down to a lot of waiting.  It can take up to 12 weeks to hear back.  That's a long time, but it's part of the submission process.  Writers have to be patient.  And we know this, but the problem ends up being some agents never respond.  You have to submit and see if the agent will reply.  

For instance, several months ago, I've queried someone for the first time.  I received an automatic email confirmation saying she received my submission.  But it's been 28 weeks and I've yet to hear back.  Even after I sent a polite follow-up. 

Most agents use the Query Manager form for submissions and writers will receive a decision within two months.  But some agents avoid answering these queries.  This puzzles me.  Why would an agent set up a Query Manager account and ignore the submissions?  Like this one:




This is sad and disappointing.  I follow many agents on Twitter and find that they tweet multiple times a day.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  But come on.  If they have time to tweet, wouldn't they have time to respond to a few queries? 

Like most writers, I put a lot of thought, time, and research into selecting an agent.  I compose a professional query and submit a manuscript that might be a good match for their manuscript wish list.  At the very least, I expect some kind of a reply.  

But there are a few agents don't feel the need to inform a writer of their decision.  What's that all about?  How hard can it be?   Are they too arrogant to reply?  Overworked?  Are they disorganized or simply don't care?  It seems like some have forgotten that at the end of a query is a diligent, hard-working writer. 

My writer friends say don't take it personally (I don't) and it happens because they're swamped (yeah, I'll remember that when I see agents tweeting what they're deciding to have for dinner or posting pictures of their pets.)

I'm over sending polished manuscripts and filling out detailed query forms only not to hear back.  So, when I encounter agents who keep me waiting and never respond, I cross them off of my list.  They are not the agents for me.  

Now you may think this situation, this not hearing back sounds discouraging, but in truth, it can be avoidable.  

Here's my plan:  I can keep good records of the agents who have replied to my queries versus the ones who haven't.  I can go to Query Tracker to learn what other writers have said about the response time from agents.  I can check in with other writers to find out what their experience has been in submitting to a specific agent. It's up to me to pinpoint the ones who are trustworthy, the ones who are professional, the ones who are compassionate.  There will always be agents who will not respond.  But I can choose agents who recognize writers are earnest and are waiting to hear back.       

✌ and 





No comments: