Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Promoting Maggie

I said it before and I'll say it again.  Marketing a children's story book is amazingly difficult, especially for first-time authors. We compete with best-selling authors and celebrities whose well-known names gets people excited about buying their books. Likewise, established children's authors have already built a fan base. Nonfiction authors have it easier, too.  People buy these books because they want or need to learn something.

Newby authors like me will try just about anything to sell a book.  We search the Internet for solutions and try them all.  Some suggestions work, some don't.  A lot of authors, seasoned and newcomers rely on Facebook to spread the word about their books.  With Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter, I had very little results.  But I didn't give up.  For me, it seems Pinterest works best.

I created several boards that reflect who I am and what I like.  One of my favorite boards is Inspirational Quotes. For this board, I design my own pins.  Creating pins help drive people to my website. Here's how to do it:

  • Search the Internet for free images or photos.
  • Copy them into a Word doc.
  • Search the Internet for engaging quotes that relate to writing and inspire people.
  • Insert the quotes with fancy fonts onto the photo.
  • Add the title of the book and the personal website. 
  • Upload the pin to a board on Pinterest.


In about two months, I've noticed a lot of impressions and engagements.  People are saving my pins to their boards, which is one of my goals.  Some Pinterest followers click on my website link.  And ultimately, this brings people to my homepage where they can take a look at my book.

Statistics have shown that Pinterest has quadripled pageviews to my website.  However, there have not yet been many sales.  It's like the old adage, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. So...I've been trying to figure out how to entice people to buy my book.  That took re-designing the landing page in warm inviting colors, adding explanations why the book is an important read, giving a list of its awards, and offering gifts that come with a purchase.

Time will tell how successful Pinterest will be.  So far, there's been terrific interest in my pins.  That makes me feel proud.  And the work continues.  The hardest thing is to do is to remember that it takes time and patience to market a book.




No comments: