On November 25th, I was invited to Joseph Beth Book Sellers for Small Business Saturday. Ten authors participated. We were set up in a semi-circle near the back of the store.
Most of the authors kept to themselves and sat quietly behind their tables. After the event, I was shocked to learn that most of the writers only sold one or two books.
I sold a good number of books. Here's what I did that helped make the difference.
1. Emailed invitations to friends.
2. Sent Facebook invitations to local acquaintances.
3. Created an eye-catching display.
4. Stood in front of the table the entire time. Yep, achy
feet were worth it.
5. Gave away stuffed animals when three books were
6. Handed out bookmarks to passersby.
7. Talked to people about the local connection (a rescue
dog named Charlie) and showed them his gorgeous
picture in the back of the book.
8. Thanked people for coming.
9. Ordered a "Budsies" doll of Maggie for the display
10. Tied into the dog theme by using water bowls filled
I'm not a salesperson, but I do know you have to plan ahead. You have to get creative. Selling books is hard work, but if you put forth some effort, you will find success.