Sunday, June 19, 2011

Writer's News

photo by Lucas
Here is the latest news about Maggie and the Third Grade Blues My picture book was sent to Schwartz & Wade, Kane Miller, Walker and Company, and Scholastic Press.  Schwartz and Wade sent a letter saying my manuscript was not right for their list as did Kane Miller and Scholastic Press.  I'm still waiting to hear from Walker and Comany as well as four agents that I've submitted to. That makes 22 publishers that I’ve submitted to and 13 agents. My manuscript has been entered in five contests. So far, it’s won three awards—so that indeed, is good news. 

Other good news:  I recently got word that another one of my manuscripts,  In Search of Awe has won an award from the Alabama Writer's Conclave.  Details will be announced in July at the AWC banquet. 

More news: Editor’s Day was held on June 11th in Lexington, Kentucky.  Editor Kate Larken of Motes Books and Abrams Books Editor Maggie Lehrman presented morning and afternoon sessions, plus one page critiques. Several months prior to the workshop, registrants had the opportunity to submit an entire picture book manuscript to Ms. Lehrman for a personal critique.Since my picture book had won several awards, I decided to submit In Search of Awe.   Maggie and the Third Grade Blues was submittted at the workshop for a first page critique. I’m hoping to share a few of the editors' tips and the critique comments with you soon. Until then, happy writing.

No comments: