Monday, January 10, 2011

Accepting the Offer

I loved writing for Stories for Children Magazine, one of the best children’s magazines online.  But, the magazine went on hiatus in 2009.  Though shaken at first by the lost of this respectable magazine, I found other markets that accepted my work. 
 
Fast forward to summer, 2010.  Editor V. S. Grenier announced that she was bringing the magazine back.  She posted some openings, so I applied for a position for the magazine.  Being an editor for an educational website www.viatouch.com, I felt that I could contribute to the Stories for Children Magazine team. 

Here’s what followed:    

Read Editor V. S. Grenier’s post for an editor position at SCBWI*
E-mailed a brief resume
Took part in a phone interview
Was offered the job several days later (and said yes!)
Set up email accounts
Got to know the editorial team through e-mails
Joined in on conference calls
Learned how to log in submissions and critique submissions
Talked with the nonfiction editor to fine-tune my duties
Worked with my husband to understand the nuances of Microsoft Office Live
Created lots of folders for submissions, acceptances, and revisions 
Acquired the first submissions

So far, I’ve received a nice selection of work.  I congratulate the authors for Stories for Children.  They work hard to create educational and entertaining pieces.  Our first issue is due this spring.  I invite you to take a look at: www.storiesforchildrenmagazine.com.  Check out our guidelines.  You may want to contribute, too.


* SCBWI is the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators:  http://www.scbwi.org/

No comments: