Published

The Maggie Project is published the first of each month.

Monday, July 11, 2011

The Back Story of Tantrums, Troubles, and Treasures



Clayton Paul Thomas has worked with kids for about 16 years from three different settings. The first was at St. Joseph Children’s Home. This was a place where abused kids went after being permanently separated from their parents. Most of his parenting skills were developed here. The kids Clayton worked with ranged from ages 3 to 15.
Afterwards, Clayton became an elementary public school teacher. He taught for 7½ years from 1st through 4th grade. Finally, Clayton has two boys (Cameron age 7 and Luke age 3). He has been married for 9 years to his beautiful wife Lauren. Though his parenting skills were learned at St. Joseph, his wife’s has been the inspiration to writing Tantrums, Troubles, and Treasures: A Parent Guide to Parenting in the 21st Century. To her, Clayton is eternally thankful. He looks forward to sharing insights with all of you. His website is: http://www.claytonpaulthomas.com

Here's how Tantrums, Troubles, and Treasures came about:
The back story ofTantrums, Troubles, and Treasuresis actually quite simple. My wonderful wife had watched how I interacted with children for years as a house parent at St. Joseph Children’s Home, and then as a teacher, and finally as the father of our two boys. Over the years, she’s even thrown parenting scenarios my way just to see how I would react. I used to think she did this to amuse herself. Well, as it turned out, she was impressed with the answers I would give and the reasons why I felt the way I did. 
It was also my wife who convinced me to write a book in order to share with others what I’d learned through working with children over the years—specifically what has worked for me and what hasn’t.  I also remember telling her how I wanted to frame the chapters: start with an inspiring quote, have the body of the chapter, and include short assignments to reinforce what I was teaching.  She really liked the idea. 

Brainstorming the book turned out to be a lot of fun. Stories of working with children came rushing back. The stories are entertaining, but each of them contain a teaching point. 

One of the things about this book is that it can be read like a reference book. For example, if a parent is having trouble with children who are argumentative, they can jump immediately to Chapter 16. The subject of bullying is clearly laid out in Chapter 19 for those who want to know how I’ve handled it. 

As is the case with many authors, writing the book was mostly allowing the book to write itself. My base of experiences is the strongest attribute. Many of the topics were chosen based on questions parents have asked me over the years and based on tremendous people I have worked with and learned from over the years as I watched how they’ve handled difficult situations.       

My hope is that anyone who reads the book is entertained,  but also develops some additional solid ideas they can use with their child. If anyone has questions after reading the book, I can be reached at tantrumstroublesandtreasures@yahoo.com. 




Create your own banner at  mybannermaker.com!


You can find out more about Clayton Paul Thomas’s World of Ink Author/Book Tour schedule at http://storiesforchildrenpublishing.com/ClaytonPThomas.aspx. There will be giveaways, reviews, interviews, guest posts and more. Make sure to stop by and interact with Clayton Paul Thomas and the hosts at the different stops by leaving comments and/or questions. Clayton Paul Thomas will be checking in throughout the tour and is offering an additional giveaway for those who leave comments throughout the tour
In addition, come listen to Blog Talk Radio’s World of Ink Network show: Stories for Children at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/worldofinknetwork. The hosts VS Grenier, Kris Quinn Chirstopherson and Irene Roth will be chatting with Clayton about his book, parenting tips, writing, the publishing industry and experiences with virtual tours. Clayton will also be sharing writing tips and trials, and tribulations of the writer’s life.
The show will be live July 4, 2011 at 2pm EST (1pm Central, 12pm MST, and 11am PST). You can tune in at the World of Ink Network site at http://www.blogtalkradion.com/worldofinknetwork. You can listen/call in at (714) 242-5259. (Note: if you can’t make the show, you can listen on demand at the same link.)
To learn more about the World of Ink Tours visit Stories for Children Publishing at: http://storiesforchildrenpublishing.com

3 comments:

  1. I just love learning the back stories to books and this one is a great book. I've had the chance to talk with the author many times. Clayton is great and has a lot of information to share with parents. Even after three kids, I still don't know it all and don't have all the 'tools' in my parenting belt and Clayton puts it. I've learned a lot from him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a daughter named Maggie (the middle of three), who had her share of tantrums and troubles as a tot, I find much validity in the title of this book Clayton Paul Thomas seems to have a wealth of experience to give the expertise to write this entertaining and helpful book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for doing this write up. I hope all is well and you have a super week.

    Clayton
    Author
    Tantrums, Troubles, and Treasures

    ReplyDelete