Adopt a Pet

Monday, July 4, 2011

The Back Story of Brush Barry Brush


Linda Valderrama R.D.H. has over 25 years experience as a dental hygienist. She has worked on patients from ages two to one hundred years old and has successfully developed preventative oral hygiene programs tailored to individual needs. Linda is a strong believer that good oral hygiene leads to good overall health and well-being.  She believes that good daily habits must be acquired early in life. Linda  is working towards developing programs for schools, assisted living facilities, and healthcare institutions to enable them to offer more effective oral hygiene programs.

Linda is a member of the American Dental Hygienists Association, the California Dental Hygienists Association, and the San Diego Dental Hygienists Society. Her book Brush Barry Brush was written to help parents and young children work together to achieve the simple but very important goal that every time you eat, you should brush your teeth.
                  Why did Linda write Brush Barry Brush? 

                                 Here's what she has to say:

I always felt my pediatric patients were my best chance at making a real impact on dental health--an opportunity to develop healthy habits that could last a lifetime. I have been a dental hygienist for over 25 years and have always particularly enjoyed working with children. They are the most fun and the most receptive. I have many patients whose teeth I have cleaned since age three. Some are now adults with kids of their own who have asked what exactly I did to get them to brush and to get the routine to stick. When enough people had asked about this, I was inspired to put my ideas to pen. Statistics show that 50% of the children have cavities even before they reach second grade. My goal is to make tooth brushing fun and empower children to prevent tooth decay. Ironically, I met Sudi Memarzadeh, a talented illustrator, at a bookstore. She was what really set everything into motion by giving life to the words I had written.

You can find out more about Linda Valderrama’s World of Ink Author/Book Tour schedule at http://storiesforchildrenpublishing.com/LindaValderrama.aspx. There will be giveaways, reviews, interviews, guest posts and more. Make sure to stop by and interact with Valderrama and the hosts at the different stops by leaving comments and/or questions. Valderrama will be checking in throughout the tour and is offering an additional giveaway for those who leave comments throughout the tour.
Create your own banner at  mybannermaker.com!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Linda why you wrote "Brush Barry Brush". I love reading about the story behind a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have this book and my kids love the story. it is catchy and does indeed make the idea of brushing fun (esp w/the stickers). one thought i had, was why do you have Doreen eating chocolate as opposed to a more traditionally "healthy" option?

    ReplyDelete
  3. janvanzin, I am glad that you asked.
    Early in my career, I spent 3 years working as a dental hygienist in Geneva, Switzerland. I was up against some pretty tasty chocolate, but was able to come up with some successful strategies to keep kids brushing. Dark chocolate in itself is not "unhealthy" and eaten occasionally is not so bad. I realized that the key was not to have my patients completely avoid chocolate, but rather for them to understand that it is what I call a "sometimes snack". Also, whenever possible, brushing after eating it is a good idea. Just like in the story, children will encounter all kinds of food. Some of it will not be the type that should be eaten nonstop all day. A parent and child should discuss this. I wanted to write a story that was educational and a story that children would want to hear over and over again. The story about Barry and his friends is meant to encourage and provoke discussion about nutrition while reinforcing the important practice of brushing multiple times throughout the day. I feel that children need to think of brushing as fun and not a chore. Learning how to deal with all kinds of food is important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to thank The Maggie Project for hosting me today. It is a privilege to have my story presented along with all of the other talented and accomplished authors. I enjoyed reading the other blogs and picked up some great tips!

    ReplyDelete