Thursday, January 6, 2011

Submission News, a Contest, and a Class

Four months after the birth of The Maggie Project, I’ve submitted to 18 publishers and 6 agents, and I’ve entered 3 contests.  Having been awarded two prizes helps offset the following news.

Albert Whitman: mailed the manuscript; not interested
Boyds Mills Press: mailed the manuscript; received a rejection
Holiday House: mailed a query; received a rejection
Adams Literary Agency—submitted manuscript online; received an online “no thank you”

            While the submission process seems somewhat grim, Maggie and the Third Grade Blues will be entered in The Tennessee Mountain Writers contest this month.  The contest coincides with the organization’s annual conference which will be held in Oakville, Tennessee March 24 - 26.  
 
            I’ve registered for the class “Everything You Need to Know about Getting an Agent.”  While many picture book authors will tell you that getting an agent is not necessary, more and more publishers only accept agented submissions.  The class will meet at the Carnegie Center for Literary and Learning in Lexington, Kentucky this February and will be taught by Writers’ Digest Editor Chuck Sambuchino.    I follow Chuck’s blog and can’t wait to meet him and learn all he has to offer.  Does anyone have a question for Chuck?  If so, leave me a comment.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I just received another rejection this week. Usually, I pick myself up and resubmit. This one is wearing on me. How do you get past the blow?

Randi said...

Unfortunately, rejection is part of the writing process. Persevere and believe in your work.

You might enjoy this hilarious article:
"Soapbox: How Stephenie Meyer Cramps My Style. Are you familiar with the Twilight origin story?" by Stephen Barbara

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/columns-and-blogs/soapbox/article/41146-soapbox-how-stephenie-meyer-cramps-my-style-.html

Amy said...

Great article. Stephanie Meyer is a complete mystery. I know grown women who I respect very much, and who read difficult novels for pleasure, who devour Twilight. Maybe I need to include more vampires in my work.